About Blanchardstown, Dublin 15
Blanchardstown has grown up alongside its smaller neighbouring town,
Castleknock. Both towns shared a common history until well into the 19th
century, when their development diverged. The name Blanchardstown comes
from the Blanchard family, who were granted their estate some time
between 1250 and 1260. The name 'Blanchard' is thought to come from the
French word blanch, meaning white, and could refer to white or fair
Blanchardstown was a rural village in western County Dublin until the
late 1960s, when the first housing estates began to be developed.
Blanchardstown developed in tandem with neighbouring settlement
Castleknock, both of which grew rapidly from the early 1970s to the
present. During the 1970s/80s, the village became subsumed into the
suburban fabric of Dublin.
The 2011 Census recorded a population of 68,156 in Blanchardstown and its immediate environs.